Chin Augmentation Vs. Chin Implant?
Chin augmentation or chin implants are two of the most popular cosmetic surgeries performed to enhance and redefine the appearance of the face. That said, deciding the right option for your situation can be challenging. This blog will explore both options to help you make that decision.
What is chin augmentation?
- Chin augmentation is a surgical procedure that involves creating a chin with more projection and definition using implants, fillers, or fat grafts. This procedure enhances facial symmetry and increases confidence by making a face look more defined or attractive.
- Chin implants (also called genioplasty) involve surgically placing an artificial implant, usually made from silicone or Gore-Tex, over the existing bone structure of the chin area to add shape and definition.
What can chin implants and chin augmentation treat?
Chin augmentation and chin implants work well for individuals with either naturally weak chins or those who have experienced trauma or injury that has damaged the existing bone structure. Both procedures work well with other facial enhancements such as rhinoplasty (nose job), facelift, cheek augmentation, etc.
Chin augmentation is also beneficial if you wish to:
- reduce a double chin without having to rely on liposuction techniques
- redefine your jawline
- provide projection if you have an overbite
What are the benefits of a chin implant?
The advantages of undergoing a chin implant include the following:
- An enhanced balance between the nose and chin
- Increased definition along the jawline
- Improved projection of the lips
- More balanced look
Advantages of chin augmentation
Regarding benefits associated with chin augmentation, there are fewer risks involved than when opting for implant surgery, as its non-surgical options involve injections which can provide quick results depending on what fillers are used. Additionally, recovery time after procedures involving filler injections is shorter compared to implant surgeries, where patients should expect more extended recovery periods.
What is the procedure for a chin implant?
Chin implantation lasts approximately 30 minutes to one hour. However, this depends on what is performed and how much correction is needed. Once the anesthesia has been given for implant placement, the surgeon makes a small opening beneath your lower lip to gain access to your mouth. They will then place an implant into position while monitoring its placement via CT scan before suturing the incision opening.
What is the recovery from chin implantation?
Following chin surgery, you may expect some redness and bruising around the operation site for several days, which should subside quickly within a week post-operation. Any pain experienced should be minimal; over-the-counter painkillers should help ease discomfort. After your procedure, patients are advised against strenuous activities such as exercise and bending down motions. These two activities should only be attempted once cleared by the doctor. It’s recommended that patients follow the guidelines their surgeon set out during the healing process.
Who is a good candidate for chin implantation?
To become eligible for either procedure, an individual must first meet specific requirements. They should be healthy adults over 18 years of age with realistic expectations regarding their desired outcome based on the preoperative consultation. A stable weight means you have had no dramatic weight gain or loss before the surgery.
You will be required to:
- Avoid drinking alcoholic beverages for 48 hours before and after surgery
- Quit smoking for eight weeks before and after the procedure
- Eat healthy, nutritious foods both pre- and post-operation
These rules make it possible for the body to heal quickly and reduce the chances of any complications.
Why choose Dr. Saigal for your chin augmentation or chin implant?
Dr. Saigal is a dual board-certified surgical subspecialist whose training credentials and experience reflect his commitment to meeting the highest standards of clinical care for his patients. Choosing Dr. Saigal means that you are choosing professionalism coupled with expertise in plastic surgery; his 37 years of experience ensure that desired outcomes can be estimated correctly and safely while providing quality care tailored to each patient's needs. Contact us today to schedule a consultation!