Why does facial feminization vary for each patient? Why isn’t it standardized?
Facial feminization is surgery for people who want to soften their features into a look or shape that is traditionally recognized as feminine. Just as you are unique, facial feminization is a surgery that is unique to you and is tailored to your needs. Facial feminization generally revolves around creating more refined contours on the face and neck, changing nose shape and bone structure. It can also sometimes incorporate soft tissue surgeries, such as a facelift or neck lift.
What is involved in facial feminization?
Dr. Saigal puts your health and wellbeing first and foremost. In consultation with you, he will work to determine the procedures that will best help you achieve your ultimate health goals and outcomes. His procedures are geared to create the least amount of scarring. Some of the components that could be part of your facial feminization are:
- Lip Lift: This reduces the distance between the base of the nose and the upper lip. It also changes the orientation of the lips for a more feminine, upward curl.
- Tracheal Shave: Dr. Saigal can help reduce the appearance of the Adam’s apple.
- Rhinoplasty: Otherwise known as a nose job, rhinoplasty contours your nose to fit within feminine norms while staying in proportion with the rest of your features.
- Jaw Surgery: In the back of your jaw, the bone turns up. Dr. Saigal smooths sharp protruding parts of it.
- Genioplasty: Genioplasty is a modification of the chin. It is generally a reduction in which the chin structure is smoothed and shaved down. There are some instances, however, when an augmentation could be recommended.
- Forehead Contouring: This involves reducing the brow bone and recontouring any hard angles of the forehead.
What is the preparation for facial feminization?
Dr. Saigal will share with you the course of pre-surgery actions for your ultimate and best health outcomes. Make sure you share with Dr. Saigal any medications you regularly take, including hormone therapy. He will let you know if there needs to be any alterations to your medications leading up to your procedure. Do not make any changes to your medications without approval from your doctor.
What is recovery from facial feminization like?
Most patients who have facial feminization experience swelling, pain, and redness in the areas around which they had their component procedures. Dr. Saigal recommends that you do not overexert yourself for four to six weeks. You can return to a more vigorous exercise routine after you have fully healed from your facial feminization, which may require a month or two.
When can I see the results from my facial feminization?
As you heal from your procedures, the results will be revealed – a very rewarding experience. Dr. Saigal will continue to support your healing process and will be monitoring you throughout your recovery. The optimal results of your procedures area achieved at several months and up to a year, depending upon which procedures were performed, with the most changes typically becoming visible and looking natural after about two to three months.