Dermal fillers are the most popular and effective cosmetic injectables. They can address most cosmetic concerns, including wrinkles, fine lines, skin laxity, lack of facial definition, loss of facial volume, thin lips, and other concerns. Whether you want to reverse the effects of age and sun damage or enhance your genetically-inherited features, you can find a dermal filler for your specific needs.
As brilliant as they are, dermal fillers have one drawback—their results eventually fade away. Some of the dermal fillers only last a few months, while others can last a year or more. But sooner or later, the results fade away, and you need maintenance treatments. Considering your dermal filler’s longevity is important because it will determine the frequency of your treatments.
If a dermal filler only lasts for three months, you’ll need up to four sessions per year. However, if a dermal filler lasts a year, you’re good to go with just one session per year. This article identifies the dermal fillers capable of lasting the longest.
Juvederm and Restylane fillers last longer than other fillers.
Juvederm and Restylane are currently the longest-lasting and most durable dermal fillers on the market. Juvederm and Restylane are families of hyaluronic acid fillers with numerous possible formulations. Each collection has numerous products catering to different cosmetic needs. Some of the fillers, like Juvederm Vollure and Restylane Kysse, are specifically designed to enhance the lip contours. And some, like Juvederm Voluma and Restylane Lyft, smoothen your wrinkles and add facial volume.
While the specific formulations might vary from one product to the next, all Juvederm and Restylane fillers have the same active ingredient — hyaluronic acid. This is a naturally-occurring and biodegradable component that attracts and retains moisture. When injected into facial tissues, it instantly adds volume to your face, smoothens the wrinkles, and defines your features. HA molecules hold up to 1,000x their own weight in water, making your skin look soft and supple.
However, hyaluronic acid is a biodegradable component that’s eventually metabolized by your body. Inferior hyaluronic acid products might last for only 3 to 6 months. But Juvederm and Restylane products can last up to 24 months with maintenance treatments — the specific longevity of each product depends on the formulation and treatment area.
The longevity of the most popular dermal fillers.
- Juvederm Voluma: up to 24 months with maintenance treatments
- Juvederm Ultra: up to 12 months with maintenance treatments
- Juvederm Vollure: up to 18 months with maintenance treatments
- Juvederm Volbella: up to 12 months with maintenance treatments
- Restylane Defyne: up to 12 months with maintenance treatments
- Restylane Refyne: up to 12 months with maintenance treatments
- Restylane Lyft: up to 12 months with maintenance treatments
- Restylane Silk: up to 10 months with maintenance treatments
- Restylane Kysse: up to 9 months with maintenance treatments
Factors that influence the longevity of dermal fillers.
- The dermal filler’s specific formulation.
- The treatment area, i.e., where the filler is injected.
- The specific dosage of the filler.
- The speed at which your body absorbs the filler.
Several factors play a crucial role in the decision, including your specific goals and concerns. Please schedule an appointment at Saigal Facial Plastic Surgery to discuss your dermal filler treatment options. We’ll recommend the ideal fillers to address your needs while ensuring optimal longevity.